Monday, June 11, 2007

Stitch Pattern Subjects

(image Lion Brand Yarns)

I admit it, I love looking at complex stitch patterns. I was even more in the mood because of a TiVo'ed Knitty Gritty from last week that featured some great and complex stitches by guest Lily Chin. Lily (of fastest crocheter fame) had some wonderful knit swatches that were truly inspiring. In the barrage of e-mail, among them was the weekly blurb from Lion Brand Yarns, a girl can never have too much knitting inspiration after all! Their stitch of the week was the "Ring of Fire", shown above. I have just the place for this.......... of course that project is pretty far down in the list! Just for the sake of remaining friends, shall we agree NOT to discuss 'The List'? You know, I won't talk about yours if you don't talk about mine. Really and truly, it does all work out for the best this way!

Ring of Fire: (thanks Lion Brand)

(worked over 12 sts)


Rows 1, 3, 17, 19, 21 and 23 (RS) K3, [p1, k1] twice, p1, k4.
Rows 2, 4, 16, 18, 20 and 22
P3, [k1, p1] 2 times, k1, p4.
Row 5 Sl 3 sts to cn and hold to back, p1, k1, p1; k3 from cn., Sl 3 sts to cn and hold to front, k3; k1, p1, k1 from cn.
Rows 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 K1, p1, k1, p7, k1, p1.
Rows 7, 9, 11 and 13 P1, k1, p1, k7, p1, k1.
Row 15 3 sts to cn and hold to front, k3, p1, k1, p1 from cn., Sl 3 sts to cn and hold to back, k1, p1, k1; k3 from cn.
Row 24 Rep row 2.
Rep rows 1–24.

Note: this is a generic pattern for creating this cable. For a single cable it would be 12 stitches. In the example shown, there is one repeat of the stitch with 12 stitches are on either side, so you'd need to cast on 32 (12 + 12 + 12) stitches and knit 12 stitches before and after the pattern.

opposites attract

Click for explanation and illustration

cn = cable needle sl = slip
k = knit rep = repeat(s)(ing)
k2tog = knit 2 together RS = right side
p = purl WS = wrong side
st(s) = stitch(es)

I think I have narrowed my selection down for that baby sweater I've been going on about lately. Yes, I'm going to have to knit Babies and Bears (but please tell me what YOUR go-to sweater pattern for wee ones is) and I have found a luscious blue in the stash. I would be happy to tell you what it WAS exactly, but....... sigh........... somehow the band from the ball has been stolen in the dark of night by marauding sprites that live to keep me in the confused and quizzical state. Suffice it to say that I am 80% sure that is what I will use. The other 20%? Of course it is absolutely necessary to go to the LYS just to be sure. After all, I would not want to cheat my niece or the darling little one from a sweater that is even MORE fabulous, now would I? Of course not. And, if I happen to purchase another yarn entirely for yet another unnamed project, well that is okay too. I'll just tuck it away for another day! To use or just to own, it is all perfectly lovely!

No comments: