A late go on Saturday for an afternoon wedding with a slower start than most means a bit of time to putter in the kitchen and create something special.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Pop the rinsed blueberries into a saucepan with 1/4 cup of water and simmer for about 5 minutes until softened. Add the mixture of sugar and cornstarch and stir well. Turn off the heat and let sit for a couple of minutes while you prepare the cake.
- 1 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbs. buttermilk powder (replacing buttermilk in the recipe--- OR add buttermilk for the water in the recipe)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup of cold butter, in small cube
- 1 egg and 3/4 cup water (or buttermilk).
Pour half of the batter into a greased 8x8 pan and smooth out. The blueberry filling goes on the next layer, even it out as well. Plop on the last of the batter by spoonfuls over the top of the cake.
- 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup of white sugar with 3 tbs. of cold, cubed butter. Add a smidge of cinnamon and work together with your fingers until it makes a nice crumble.
Bake 45 minutes or so. Let it cool if you can and serve.