Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Day 19: Still Considering Food


Wasn’t the interview with Jenny and Nicole from Stash and Burn yesterday great? I loved being able to hear them, and of course they’re funny. Very funny. Thanks again ladies, it was wonderful! All of the S&B fans thought that they'd taken their holiday break so of course it was really fantastic to have them back for a podcast---- just for us! I have more really great interviews planned until the 25 Days of Knitting Contrisstmas are over.

I’m on the downhill slide of work that makes me crazy------ and entering into a season that has the possibility of being more relaxed! Okay, okay---- I've made it an effort to remain calm and cheery up to this point but still! Personally, I think it is the lure of those after Christmas days that promise to be amazingly peaceful. The last deliveries were made today (I think) and definitely the last time I made a Fed Ex run. I was there twice yesterday, I should be on payroll. I’ve decided that January, which is known as bridal show season will be a walk in the park. Meeting with herds of brides and talking until my lips melt off will actually be kind of a nice reprieve from the holiday season in a photo studio!

That means that I can see full time jammies from here!

I have to add that our last bride’s Mom picked up her wedding proofs yesterday morning at the studio and brought me chocolate! Not, mind you, just any chocolate but a big white beautiful adorned with a gold bow box of Lindt Truffles…. The assortment. Please do not tell a single soul that I have already eaten five of them. FIVE! And I haven’t been on the treadmill or elliptical in a week, the shame of it all. (But they were SOOOOOO good!) I’ll tuck one or two into the knitty baskets going out this weekend, it is my only defense I think.

Before I get to the jammie point there is a bit of menu planning and cocktail planning before a morning spent grocery shopping. Not fun, but necessary. I have decided that libations will be all out and tons of fun! The Food Network Stars special had some Sandra Lee cocktails that are on the agenda, the Gingerbread Martini’s, the Candy Cane Cocktail, and the very festive (and blue with a coconut rim) Frosty Cocktail. I’ll be stopping by the liquor store and loading up. I absolutely adore h’ors d’oeuvres and cocktails, who needs dinner when you’ve enjoyed a good happy hour anyway? It is something I never indulge (okay, rarely) during the year outside of the holidays so in honor of my son in the house (who is quite of legal age) I’m planning some great munchies. My favorite recipe is super easy and when I make it, everyone asks for the recipe and can’t believe the ingredients. This is what I'm planning---- we have a few toddies and some lovely little canapes and nibbles and who really needs big elaborate meals????

Crabmeat Canapes

1 package of English muffins (I like Bays for this recipe)
1 jar of Old English cheese
1 stick of butter (yes, one stick) VERY soft
garlic salt--- I use a teaspoon but I like garlic
2 cans of crabmeat

  • Open the crabmeat, drain and pick it over well so there is no shell
  • In a medium bowl, beat up the cheese you have wedged out of the jar, and the butter. It should be nicely mixed up with no cheese or butter lumps
  • Add in the crabmeat and stir to combine
  • Split the English Muffins and cut into quarters
  • Top each quarter of the muffin with a good tablespoon of the crabmeat mixture, spread to the edge--- but you still want a nice little mound of crabmeat
  • Pop the completed muffins into the freezer in a single layer until they are frozen hard
  • That step is important---- really it is!
  • When they have frozen you can prepare them or you can put them into a freezer bag for later use
  • Pre-heat broiler
  • On a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed lightly with cooking spray, place the muffin triangles topped with crab
  • Place the canapés under the broiler and watch carefully
  • You want them to be nicely browned but not overly brown.
  • Place on a pretty tray with some nice holiday napkins and enjoy

Another great favorite for a party or family gathering is Sweet and Hot Pecans. something munchy and crunchy and spicy and sweet. And hard to stop eating, that is the problem!

Sweet and Hot Pecans

2 cups of shelled whole pecans
½ stick of butter, melted
½ cup of light brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. cayenne

  • Mix the all of the ingredients except the pecans. Taste a pinch to see if you would like it hotter. It gets a bit hotter when it is baked!
  • Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
  • Toss the pecans in the butter and coat well
  • Add the sugar mixture and give it a good mix up
  • On a baking sheet covered with foil and sprayed with cooking spray, arrange the nuts in a single layer
  • Bake for about 8 minutes and give a turn----- bake for another 2-3 minutes
  • Watch carefully, you don’t want the sugar to burn
  • Let cool
  • Place in a pretty bowl and munch away

<:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:><:>

No knitting happened yesterday, anything serious anyway. I did manage a few rows of the diagonal ‘Broadway’ scarf, it is turning out so pretty! I'm liking this season of I'M DONE instead of the rushed and cranky knitknitknit thing! Instead I worked on the grocery list so I can get that done and over with, ran errands to pick up the last of the ordered gifts (a sewing machine was the request of my very spoiled partner’s Mom--- shhhhh don’t tell her!) and when I finally got home from work and grilled cheese and tomato soup was about all I could muster up---- I watched the finale of Biggest Loser and read a little bit of the holiday Debbie Macomber book, Christmas Wishes. It is pure and simple mindless reading, and sometimes this time of year that is okay! CW was an early Christmas gift from my daughter along with some bubble bath---- both sound delightful right about now! Being domestically responsible does have to have a payoff somewhere along the line, don't you think?

I’m finishing up some gift tags for my knitterly friends----- instructions to come. Super easy and they do make you look like you did the big ole’ fuss over.

On the knitting front I have still been wandering around with Norah Gaughan Vol. I in my hand. I love everything in there and because I can't twitch my nose like Samantha in Bewitched and magically have everything in there, or knit 12 items at once with lightning speed I think I have to choose. And I can't. Manon is so great----- it is still the front runner but it isn't like there is anything easily crossed off the list. Well except for the fabulous skirt made of lacy hexagonal shapes. Not that I don't love it but I think my tush needs to be a bit tidier first. Decisions, decisions. This is all your fault Norah!

While I'm stocking the pantry, and getting a couple of studio projects off my desk I'll be hoping that the Blitters get a lot accomplished today and are feeling as merry and bright as the law allows!


No comments: