Thursday, August 23, 2007

Great Mail & Miters

Despite a bit of sadness yesterday, and a pile o'work on the desk it was an excellent mail day. Excellent. A box from KnitPicks, a box from Amazon, and a box from QVC. QVC you say???? What in the world can you buy knitly from QVC??? Actually, I shall tell you that the very best nail polish in the Known Universe comes from QVC. In case you are hard on your hands and like a nice natural look---- yet cared for---- I'll tell you my fave secret. Joan Rivers' topcoat and basecoat duo ROCK. The basecoat is a great basecoat but honestly, most of the time I opt for one or two coats for everyday. Looks great--- not foofy at all, it keeps my nails from getting all nasty and splitty. The topcoat looks great but is one of the best speed dries out there. I can go from painted wet to out the door in 5 minutes. Not the cheapest in the world but certainly not the priciest either..... works great, looks good, and delivered to the door, can't beat that!

KnitPicks brought me the gorgeous colorway Lemongrass in Swish for my soon to be cast on leggings. Love this color, it is really smashing.



Also in the KP box was my very favorite stitch counter of all time so of course I had to have another one. Having a stitch counter for every project is essential for me. I forget, what can I say.


The box also included books I purchased before the KP sale was over, and I got 'fluffy' knitting books that I wouldn't necessarily have on the "MUST BUY" list. "Knitting for Dogs" (yes really) by Kristi Porter. It is a very cute book, I was swayed by the little Yorkie on the cover in the cute ruffle butt sweater. Now don't be looking any time soon for knitted goodies for the dogs. I also purchased these great Japanese sew clothes for your dogs books and have done nothing with them for over a year. You know, when it comes to books sometimes owning them is enough! I also got Chrissie Day's "Felt Style". Very cute projects, I love the slippers and hats and might have to create some for holiday giving. Or not! ;)


Amazon? I have been oogling for sometime "Designer Knitting" by Kitty Bartholomew. I remember Kitty from back in the day at HGTV and her sweaters were fabulous. This book is really (REALLY) great. She is a very passionate and prolific knitter, her sweaters are tres cute and simple. I think that many of them look like great staple sweater stuff. Love this book!


Walking this morning was an effort and a half. I had to be out the door and presentable (which as we all know takes quite a bit of time) by 8:00 a.m. I walk for an hour and a half so by the time you factor in cool off time, shower and a good fluff and buff I was up super early. Unfashionably so. It was stinkin' 80 degrees at 5:30 this morning with a dew point that would make a grown man weep! But I sludged on like the good girl that I am. I was able to finish the tail end of last weeks podcast from Webs and get a start on this weeks' as well as finishing the last 5 minutes of the recent Cast On. (Love those badges!) What is not to love about really taking your mind off of the heat and humidity by listening to two passionate fiber-heads discussing all of the yummy new yarn arriving? Oh yeah! Problem is that I usually want to order some of what I hear romanced on my iPod. (For those of you who know, my efforts to keep the stash IN LINE have long since sailed. Speaking of Webs, I continue to be in absolute awe of anyone who actually owns the URL Yarn.com. Wow, how smart was that anyway?

We won't even discuss what I bought today. Really. We had to buy new equipment for the studio and such purchases always depress me. I thought a wee small bit of yarn would perk me up. Who could possibly disagree??

Tomatoes are flying off the vines (and not just from the rude squirrels who call my back yard home). I'm almost afraid to answer the door after work in case some kind neighbor wants to contribute tomatoey goodness. Instead I look for great recipes to use said bounty on and the following is a good one. Especially with a nice glass of Pinot!


Really Good Tomato and Basil Bruschetta

INGREDIENTS

  • 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped. You can use regular tomatoes, just remove most of the seeds and pulp and use the flesh of the tomato. If you use regular tomatoes you will need 3-4 depending on size
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil (I buy a big jar at Costco and use it all the time), chopped roughly
  • 4 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons good quality red balsamic vinegar. I've made it with white balsamic and while it is good, it is not the same!
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed (My garden has a basil plant that is taking over!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1teaspoon ground black pepper, it sounds like a lot but I crack it pretty coarse and I do love the pepper
  • 1 loaf of excellent bread, a baguette or loaf of French works well as long as it has a bit of substance to the crust and is not too smushy, sliced diagonally for nice big oval slices of bread
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or slices of fresh Buffalo Mozzarella if you like the taste and have not recently purchased enough yarn to ding your budget!

The How To:

  • In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes
  • Preheat the broiler (unless you have a Viking or Wolf in which case preheating it will turn your kitchen into a very Hot Place)
  • Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown, I broil both sides lightly.
  • Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese..... don't be stingy!
  • Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
  • EAT and enjoy!


The Mitered Square sweater project is advancing...... it has become a wonderfully rather mindless knit, perfect for fried after work knitting. It doesn't seem as fast because of having to knit up every square before you can take off and go but by the same token you do get a wonderful sense of immediate gratification at the same time.

LOOOOOVE the colors!


All in all, much done---and I put in a good day's work as well. Oh to be a Trust Fund Girl!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I ordered swish too...in bordeaux.