Thursday, April 2, 2009

Slow Cooker Short Ribs

I love to cook, really and truly. Right now life is beyond madness with a move in a couple of weeks and a business to run. (And chickens to knit). I can get by on fast food, ordered in food, or always the oh so delightful food from the yummy case at W*hole F*oods but for just so long. When I need real food, home cookin', and a little on the plate love I turn to my slow cooker. That and my pressure cooker are my go to's when it comes to great food fast.

So.............. I was in the mood for comfort food, short ribs were going to fill the bill.

Slow Cooker Short Ribs

  • "Long” short ribs, boneless (I get mine at C*ostco where they are gorgeous, almost looking like strip steaks) I used 3 big ones to serve 2 (twice). The leftovers are awesome.
  • 2 large sweet onions, sliced thinly
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 bottle of beer (I happened to have Fat Tire)
  • 1 cup white wine (I had an open bottle of a nice Pinot Grigio)
  • 1 tbs. Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbs. Maille Mustard (or any coarse grainy mustard)
  • 2 tbs. Worcestershire
  • 1 tbs. dark brown sugar

Dredge in seasoned flour (flour, salt, pepper, a bit of garlic powder) and brown all sides for a couple of minutes.


Lay the sliced onions on the bottom of the crock pot and place the browned ribs on top.


Deglaze the pan with the wine, add beer, mustard and brown sugar


Pour over the short ribs.


Cover and slow cook for 8-10 hours on low. (low on some crock pots is somehow different than low on others. Do not ask me why this is, I just know it is true!) It seems as a rule of thumb if you have a large crock pot where the short ribs can be in a single layer that less time is required. Also, the more ribs you have the longer it takes.


The browned short ribs sitting on top of the onion bed with the liquid poured over.

And the finished product, sliced and topped with the oniony sauce, sitting next to a serving of scalloped potatoes. Served with a nice green salad it is indeed comfort food heaven!

Knitly, the chicken is progressing happily. The base is done and an inch or so is traveling up her little chicken sides. The cabled cardi is not. 'nuff said.

1 comment:

PamKittyMorning said...

The short ribs look super delicious. I'm dying to know about the chicken. Becuase I really really want one but don't know about making one. The pattern says intermediate but is it closer to beginner than advanced on the intermediate scale? I love the colors of the chickens in the pattern photo. Between those chickens and the round little crocheted cushions everyone is making I am seriously losing my s..well you know what. I'm crazy for them.