Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Bitsy Haul

A bitsy haul indeed! On the way to the studio this morning I had a bit of a detour. One of our LYS's, and I hadn't been there before. Because I needed some great yarn in preparation for Travel Knitting next week it was a must stop. It's a bitsy haul because instead of a whole lotta somethin' it's a little bit of much.

The photo above shows a bit of the sheen and the hand of the yarn but the color is not well represented at all. It's actually a lavendary blue-----just gorgeous! Cascade Venezia, 70% merino and 30% silk. Yum-My. It is so soft with a beautiful drape. I plan on trying this most fab yarn on the quick, down and dirty shrug. I rationalize the one skein wonder projects like this............. if you do it quick, the yarn needs to be delicious, and this is! I'm hoping that the shrug will be quick and simple enough to do it in an incredible indy handspun I found today but haven't purchased yet. At over 50 a skein, I definitely am in the one skein wonder camp!!! I imagine myself knitting one of those Anthropologie inspired shrugs out of a gasp producing yarn of scrumptious proportions and fastening it with a really great vintage button.

Today's haul so named BITSY because it is a skein of this and a skein of that. The colors don't do much for each other, do they?

My alphabetical stitch markers arrived from Hide and Sheep and they are just delightful! Love them! Well made, sweet colors, and I'm all about well packaged goodies. The quality is good as well, you know how sometimes you are a little nervous ordering from Etsy? No fear with Hide and Sheep, good products, well priced with nice quality. I'm ready for Sockitecture now! It did occur to me that because the Coreolis socks are knit on larger needles than I usually use for socks I'll be making another trip to the LYS for another set of circs. Oh drat and dang, another trip to the yarn store.......... you know what a horrible thing that is!

Below is the extraordinarily delightful Malabrigo! LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors........... it's Malabrigo chunky and I'm planning on knitting a Christmas gift hat. Yes, more travel knitting. Of course while I was making my list and checking it twice for the holiday travel knitting and noting that I was a needle short for the Coreolis, I also discovered that I don't have ginormous dpn's for the hat project. My LYS will get plenty of my needle dollars today. While I am pretty fussy about sock needles (Addi or Denise for me) I think that the hat can use a funkier needle manufacturer.

Below is the Love from Vickie Howell, colorway Harold and Maude. It is so yum in the hand! The color in the photo is mauvier than it really is, the flash picked up the color a bit.


My old friend Lopi! Another hat, more travel knitting. I thought this colorway was perfect for my daughters room-mate. Can't wait to see how the flecks of gold, red and blue knit up!

And from the Loopy Ewe, arrived Austermann Step. The yarn in the flesh (or fiber?) is less orangy and more earthy peachy. I am trying to break out of my blue socks rut and thought this color would be great with brown. So now, with my stitch markers and yarn I can have another Cat Bordhi moment.

All that remains is the cast on party, the packing into the knit bag party and the general state of readiness!

I'm trying really, really hard to find time to get my mitered square sweater finished. The sleeves are blocking now and once they get seamed and set in the sweater there is a fair bit of I-Cord and bands to add to the sweater. I'm frustrated that my schedule has not been fully cooperating with getting it done, work has once again had the lion's share of my time. I'm working on the website(s) to get them freshened up. The leggings? 3 more inches of stockinette up to just south of belly button, then the ribbing/casing and elastic.

1 comment:

Virtuous said...

Travel knitting is so exciting and you are prepared!! Great yarns!