Friday, August 1, 2008

National Girlfriend Day

Did you have any idea that August 1st was National Girlfriend Day? Me either! And in the name of fair play I think we should expand that to International Girlfriend/Boyfriend Day! I'm all about equality y'know! Happy, Happy IGBD!!!!!!!!!!!

I've spent IGBD catching up on paperwork, making a zillion phone calls, getting ready to launch two new websites next week (no pressure there) and preparing for tomorrows wedding. I even waxed the hardwoods at o'dark'thirty because I was in a non sleeping mode last night.

Doesn't THAT look yummy? Pretty simple fare, and nourishing the body as well as the soul; Coconut Crusted Tofu with peach mango salsa. Delish:

For those of you that would like to celebrate IGBD with me the simple recipe follows.

  • 1 package panko breadcrumbs, toast gently in a dry sautepan, stirring constantly until lightly browned
  • 1 block firm tofu, drained and sliced into 1 inch planks. Drain on weighted toweling for half an hour
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 1 egg (sorry vegans), beaten
  • 1 ripe peach
  • 1 ripe mango
  • red pepper flakes to taste
  • 2 tbs. red onion
  • 2 tbs. chopped parsley or my favorite, cilantro
  • a squeeze of fresh lemon
  • 4 tbs. good quality balsamic vinegar

While the tofu is draining, mix the panko and the coconut. Into the egg, dredge the drained/tofu. Then dredge through the panko mixture, coating both sides well.

In a saute pan with 'just enough' olive oil, saute the tofu, fast enough to give it a nice crust, slow enough not to cook too quickly and become really tough. Maybe 3-4 minutes a side on medium.

While that is sauteing cut up the peach and mango in to small dice and squeeze a lemon over to keep them from browning and adding a little tang. Finely chop the red onion and mix well with the parsley and red pepper flakes to taste. I use 1/2 tsp. Splash on the balsamic and give it a turn in the bowl.

When the tofu is done, arrange on a plate with the salsa and have a go at it. This should serve 4, with a nice salad and maybe some brown rice you've got it made. Personally, I'm not wild about leftover tofu when it has been sauteed; I think the texture goes a little wonky, but that is just me. So share!

Slowly, Liesl is progressing. My plan is to knit her as long as I have yarn. Since it was stash yarn and quite vintage there is no hope of getting more but I think it will be quite perfect just wherever it lands. There are 4 50 g balls left, each ball seems to add about 2 inches.


Because it will be 97 tomorrow with heat indexes approaching 110 for the weekend and into early next week I think there is plenty of time left to wear a cap sleeved sweater over a little tank--- ever so it is time to Get Knittin'!

4 comments:

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

Oh yum....I bet I could replace the panko with some gf crumbs....I love tofu...

yoel said...

Yum! That tofu looks amazing. Panko crumbs are the best. I used them to make eggplant parmesan (more like eggplant panko), and for once the eggplant was actually crispy!

Jenni said...

I love tofu, but I have never been able to prepare it myself. I always order it when I go out though. I am the same with fried chicken...can't make it despite several attempts.

hapagirl said...

Oh yum! I know what I'm having for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe. I'm off to buy a mango.